Sunday, May 29, 2016

Valley of Fire State Park, Atlatl Rock, Fire Wave, White Domes, and Beehives

Valley of Fire State Park campgrounds are first-come, first-serve with electric and water hook-ups at some of their sites. So I decided if I could get a site, I would stay for the long Memorial Day weekend. It was no problem getting a site at 9 a.m. Wednesday morning.
My first stop was the Visitor's Center for maps and information. I recommend buying the color waterproof trail map they have for sale. It includes pictures, details and many more trails than the little black and white one they give you. These are some of the red rocks the valley is named for.
A short trail from the Visitor's Center leads to Balancing Rock, which resembles the head of a T-Rex dinosaur to me. A small hole lets blue sky shine through for his eye.
Back at the campground, I walked park of the scenic loop. This is Atlatl Rock. There are petroglyphs at the top of the stairs.
View from the stairs of Atlatl Campground where I am staying.
You can see my RV from here.
The petroglyphs...
There are still bighorn sheep in these mountains, but I couldn't find any while I was here.
Atlatl is the name of the spear-thrower these early people used to hunt animals. It is shown in the top two petroglyphs here.
The petroglyphs are estimated to be over 4,000 years old.
Not all of the rock formations are named, which leads you to invent your own. This one looks like a turtle to me.
Can you see the face? Whose face is it?
Lots of small lizards running about, but not the ones I wanted to see.
This looks sort of like a face from this angle...
But as you pass it, it turns into a poodle!
This is called Arch Rock. There are a lot of arches in the park, many smaller or more remotely located. Most are not named.
This looks like it might have been an arch once that has eroded away.
There are supposed to be Golden Eagles and Peregrine Falcons here, but what do I see? Turkey Vultures!
Swirling winds have eroded the holes in the sandstone rocks over time.
Dune Primrose, blooming in the early morning.
I got up at the crack of dawn to hike a couple of the most popular trails before it got hot, and before the crowds came. The first one was the Fire Wave Trail. It starts out by going around this huge monolith they call Rock of Gibraltar, reminiscent of the one in Europe only more colorful.
The Fire Wave is stunning with its swirls of color in the early morning sun.

When you are the first one on the trail in the morning, you can study who went there during the night.
White Domes Scenic Byway early in the morning.
I was still the only hiker when I got to the White Domes Loop Trail.
Down in the canyon is an old movie set from the movie, "The Professionals" which also included a Mexican Hacienda located where the parking lot is now.
Very colorful rocks.
After the movie set there is a slot canyon that has also been featured in movies.
Slot canyon
It was not very long.
Following the trail through more rock formations as it climbs out of the canyon.
Interesting stains on these rocks....looks like hands.
Another arch.
More colors.
Back down the Scenic Byway.
I stopped at a few overlooks. This was from a side trip out Fire Canyon Road.
Silica Domes. This area was used in the Star Trek Generations movie as the spot where Captain Kirk died as he and Captain Puicard fought the evil foe called Soran.
Antelope Ground Squirrel. I saw a lot of these.
Fire Canyon Vista...deep red sandstone mixed in with lighter colored sandstone. In the background can be seen the dark "Muddy Mountains."
Fire Canyon

Another roadside formation, called "The Beehives." People like to climb on these.
Back at the campground I see....not a Golden Eagle, not a Peregrine Falcon, but a Red-tailed Hawk.
That worked out so well that I decided to get up even earlier the next day to do two more popular hikes.