Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Yosemite, Meadow Loop

On my last full day at Yosemite, I just strolled the trails in the valley to get some different views of the principal attractions, especially Yosemite Falls. I parked near the trailhead to Lower Yosemite and crossed the road to the meadow. This is the view of Upper Yosemite Falls from there.
If you want better pictures of Half Dome, late afternoon is best when the sun shines on it. Most of my hikes were in the morning.
Upper falls again from a little farther out in the meadow.
On the bridge over the Merced River is this marker showing previous years' flood levels.
View of the Merced River from the bridge.
I was invited to kayak this section of river with my campground neighbors, who are white-water enthusiasts. The Merced was flowing more swiftly than my comfort level, with several white-water places and obstacles along the way, so I declined. Besides I already had a full agenda of hikes for my days here.
I strolled down this path along the river.
Yosemite Chapel, the only remaining building from the old Yosemite Village, is the oldest structure in Yosemite Valley, built in 1879.
An artist was putting finishing touches on a painting of the chapel.
The chapel and its setting.
A different view of Upper Yosemite Falls from across the river.
Continuing on the trail.
I noticed a swallow kept flying out over the meadow, the river, and the riverbank.
I figured out it was gathering twigs and nest-building materials for a nest it must have had in the bank on the right. You can see the swallow picking something up in the trail.
View of Half Dome from the river.
And another river view of the falls.
Or maybe you like a meadow view?
I was looking for this view where you can see the Upper, Middle, and Lower Falls all in one photo.
And then there are some reflection views...

No wonder photographers love this place.
Upper and Lower Falls.
This meadow was the location of the old Yosemite Village.
A photo of the village in the early 1900s.
A lot of  trash removal and restoration had to take place to restore the meadow to its natural state.
I thought this photo of an ice cone that forms under Yosemite Falls in winter was interesting. I won't ever get to see that.
And the only other place where I read about a moon bow forming was in Kentucky at Cumberland Falls. They may be more common than that, but I don't know. That's something I won't get to see either...I go to bed too early, lol.
Back by the trailhead there is a good view of both Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls, but you can't see the middle falls.
I drove around the other end of the meadow to a picnic area where you can get this view of El Capitan. My CA friend, Laura, told me about this beautiful spot.
It's also a good place to watch the climbers scaling the rock face.
Rock climbers and their gear on El Capitan.
And like most everyone who comes here, I left a part of my heart in Yosemite.