Saturday, September 10, 2016

Kayaking in Flaming Gorge, UT.

I left my beautiful campsite in Sheep Creek Canyon and drove 2 1/2 miles to Sheep Creek Bay where there is a campground next to the boat ramp. I think that long drive is a record for me, lol.
Launching my kayak at the boat ramp on a beautiful morning with blue skies and temperatures in the 70s, and the colorful Flaming Gorge stretched out before me.
Right away I saw some wildlife...over there on the bank.
It's a pile of sleeping Mergansers!
And a sleeping Magpie in the reeds.
The Osprey is not asleep...he's fishing. Kokanee Salmon live in Flaming Gorge Reservoir and in late August or early September the adults swim up Sheep Creek to spawn on gravel bars. I looked, but didn't see any.
Looking toward the mouth of Sheep Creek. As you glance at the colorful layers of rock formations, you are looking at over 300 million years of time.
A yellowlegs works the shoreline.
The osprey is keeping his eye on things.
Imagine a time when fluctuating seas left these layers of gray and brown strata, along with fossil shells, shark teeth, and fish bones. Rocks in this area, as well as at the rim of the Grand Canyon, were deposited over 250 million years ago by a sea which covered the entire region.


The dramatic hallmark of Flaming Gorge, this rusty orange formation is comprised of 220 million-year-old mudstone deposited along the edge of shallow seas, on mudflats, flood plains, and stream channels. Large amphibians and smaller reptiles inhabited this environment.


Layers of rocks...
Between 65 and 40 million-years-ago, the rock formations of Flaming Gorge were faulted and bowed upward, forming the Uinta Mountains. Through weathering and erosion the layers of the various formations have become exposed, allowing a rare opportunity to witness over 300 million years of Earth's history.


And it's beautiful too!
Sun sparkles on the water.
The ripples you see are a 210 million-year-old formation deposited by lowland lakes, streams and swamps in a forested environment. This ecosystem harbored abundant life...early lizards, amphibians, and crocodile-like reptiles whose teeth have been found in this formation.
Small dinosaur footprints have been found in many locations.
I scanned the shoreline for evidence of fossils.
This was an interesting shape.
More ripples.
I didn't find anything I could say for sure was a fossil, but I had fun looking.

There are several small coves with sandy/pebbly beaches where one could put ashore to explore.
My eyes were drawn back to those amazing colors often.
This was not such a good place to put ashore. It was muddy. Perhaps someone will find my fossilized footprint a million years from now.
There are a few small islands in the bay.
Another side canyon to explore, but I did not go there this time. Later I had a chance to see it from a viewpoint high above. Lots of hidden coves in there, including a bandit's hideout.
The water was calm with just a light breeze, and the paddling was easy.

Entering a small protected cove.
The holes in the bank are swallow nesting places.
A Belted Kingfisher was hanging out in the cove.
Another place you could put ashore to picnic, explore, or even camp overnight.
Facing back toward the gorge.
Peaceful reflections.
I spent all morning out here, putzing along the shoreline and soaking up the beauty.

Since it was new waters for me, I did not bring Thistle, but I could have.
He would have liked this guy.
Back to the boat ramp.
The small, 5-site campground sits back from the boat ramp area. This is my $5 view for the night.
Thistle and I took a walk.
Looking toward the campground from the boat trailer parking area.
The campground seen from the road above.
Campground on the right, boat ramp on the left.
It's ok, bunny. Thistle didn't see you.
Just in case you were tempted...
Thistle has to taste the water wherever we go.
This is just one of many campgrounds around the reservoir where you can put a boat in, but I think this one may be the most picturesque.