Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Silver Falls State Park

I was only able to reserve one night in this large busy park, so I didn't get to do much. But it's worth another trip someday to see the rest. I think sometime after Labor Day might be a good time... 
Thistle and I walked the nature trail since he's not allowed on the waterfall trail.
We saw chipmunks and this Stellar's Jay.
Silver Creek boasts 10 majestic waterfalls along about 3.5 miles of the creek. The Trail of Ten Falls is roughly a 7-mile loop. Since their check-in time is 4 p.m., that didn't give me time. So this is the Trail of Two Falls version.
This is the signature feature...South Falls which drops 177 feet over  basalt cliffs formed 15-17 million years ago as a result of a massive lava flow. Notice the trail goes behind the falls.
South Falls cascades over four layers of lava, representing four different events. Can you see the layers?
I followed the Canyon Trail along Silver Creek to the second waterfall. There is also a Rim Trail which I would take on the return trip if I was doing the whole trail. I just liked these cool tree roots.
Silver Creek flows gently between waterfalls.
Temperate Rain Forests like this one create a paradise of green.
Another view of Silver Creek.
There are stairs (built by the CCC) to descend to the base of Lower South Falls.
Looking down at Lower South Falls from the stairs.



The trail goes behind these falls too, but I turned around before I got that far.
So 2 out of 10 is all I saw because I like to get on the road in the morning if I have to drive.
Another view of South Falls from the bridge over the creek...on the way back up.

Then there's a short trail to the top of South Falls.
Back at my campsite...look what we have outside my window! Two adults and about 10 little kids all wearing orange T-shirts. The adult T-shirts said, "I'm Papa" and "I'm Mama." All the kids T-shirts said, "I'm with Mama and Papa." A good idea if you have to keep track of that many kids.
Thistle and I decided to take another walk...
Much quieter out here!