Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area

On my way up 101 from Bandon to Florence, I stopped in Reedsport at the Dean Creek Elk Viewing area, where a herd of elk can sometimes be seen. I wasn't lucky last time I was here, but this day the whole herd was present. All the bucks were laying down near the woods. I waited a long time for one to stand up, so I could get a photo of something besides the tops of their antlers.
Most of the rest of the herd were grazing in the fields with a little help from their friends controlling the bugs.
The cows were eating.
The calves were hiding in the tall grass.
Sometimes the mamas checked on the babies.
Then I went on to my site at Carter Lake in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. I had a pull-through site next to the lake where I could put my kayak in.
Carter Lake, like several other lakes in the area was formed by water trapped between dunes. It is long and narrow, with tree-covered dunes on both sides. Water seeps up from underground, or comes from rainfall, but there is no water flowing into or out of the lake.
I took Thistle out the first afternoon for a short paddle, but I discovered that as it gets windy, the long, narrow lake acts like a wind tunnel/funnel, and paddling is harder.
There are at least two, maybe three active Osprey nests on the lake, and fish are stocked, but not much else in the way of wildlife was seen.
The next morning I took the kayak out alone and paddled to the other end of the lake where it comes to a point, and battled the wind all the way back. So that was my last kayak excursion here.
Oh, here's some wildlife. The banana slugs are as long as my shoe.
The trails from the campground start out as a nice hike through the woods...
But they soon get sandy.
And if you want to hike to the beach, you have to walk through soft sand over several large dunes.
We tried that once, but discovered it is very difficult (for me) to walk in deep, soft sand.
So we drove up to Heceta Light and hiked the Hobbit Trail. That was fun and is in a separate post.
And Thistle enjoyed a little beach time there.
Another day I toured the old town of Florence.
This picture is taken from the old ferry landing that was in service before the bridge was built.
The distance to other cities named "Florence."
Florence boat harbor on the Suislaw River.
There are about 20 painted sea lions around town, created by local artists and displayed at various locations.
The drawbridge is undergoing some renovations.
The center portion is where the tall boats go through, between the gothic-style towers.

The old downtown has also been renovated, buildings now contain shops and restaurants mostly, but signs describe their original uses.
The old Bill's Garage is now a coffee shop.

I forget what the Pool Hall has become, but the smaller building on its left is a hair salon. They apparently don't take walk-ins, I found out.
"Dancing Sea Lions" is the name of the event, and this one is outside the Event Center.
I had a chance to spend a few days with my RVing friends, Karen and Laura. One day we took a tour of the Oregon Dunes together.
This smiling picture was taken before we rode out on the sand dunes. Laura forewarned me to wear a hooded sweatshirt.
I was glad we did this, because it's the only way I would have had a chance to see the expanse of dunes and what really happens out here.
Because I don't think I would have done this!
We got to experience the dunes without going fast or jarring our joints.
I call these ghost trees...almost completely covered by drifting sand.

Pick-up trucks
Looks like families are having a lot of fun out here.
This is another experience we could have had, but they go fast!
There are pockets of trapped water out here...sort of like how Carter Lake began.
And there are "tree islands" which are located near those sources of water.

Stuck! That would be me if I tried it.
Our tour took us through one of the tree islands to see the trees half covered with sand.
Yes, we were having fun!
Tree island.
These ghost trees are 85 feet tall, we are told...most of it under the sand.
Some of the water pockets are pretty deep....you don't want to drive your dune buggy through them.

We stopped here so we could get out and take photos of the dunes and the distant mountains.

And we had a group get-together photo taken too. Me on the left, Laura, and Karen.
Laura and Karen are still on the coast, but I'm off on another adventure. My daughter, Jennifer, is coming to spend a week with me.