Thursday, March 24, 2016

Horseback Riding in Wickenburg, AZ

As part of my goal to go horseback riding once a month between now and the November mule trip in the Grand Canyon, I booked a 3-hour ride in Wickenburg.
Turned out, I was the only one who wanted to ride 3 hours that day. My wrangler, the woman, was newly hired, and so I had two wranglers. The man is cinching the saddle on my horse, Mocha. Don't ask me to remember anyone else's name...too much time has passed.
 I think we rode every trail they have here, as the man was marking trails for the trainee.
We started out down a wide wash. This ride is closed during the rainy season, and they move the horses to Prescott. 
We came upon some cows and a calf. 
They pointed out 3 eagle nests up there. Only one is active. 

Here we climbed out of the wash. 
And enjoyed some views from above. 
A rock meditation circle. There are images of a snake, a tortoise, and a rabbit made of stones. Mocha was meditating. 

Back down into the narrow end of the wash at its source. 
 Where a giant waterfall flows in the rainy season. It is the water that created the wash.
From here we had to have a little discussion with Mocha. He thought he only signed up for the 2-hour ride and wanted to head right back down the wash to the corral. We finally persuaded him to climb out of the wash and do another trail, although my butt was agreeing with him at that point.


At last we were done, and both Mocha and I survived. This company also does rides in Sedona which should be very pretty through the red rocks. I will hire them again if and when I get back to AZ.