Saturday, March 26, 2016

Amboy Crater National Natural Landmark

On my first night in California, I decided to spend the night boon docking on BLM land at Amboy Crater...a National Landmark that also happens to have a hiking trail.
I arrived late morning, and it was already warmish.
Thistle and I walked around the parking lot and viewing area reading all the signs.
Viewing platform near the parking lot. 
Looking back at the parking lot from the viewing platform. Another couple had spent the last night there, and I talked to them when they came off the trail. 
I thought it was already getting too hot to hike, so thought I would wait and do it early in the morning before leaving. But the couple said it wasn't bad.
As I waited, many other people arrived and set off down the trail, so eventually I decided I could too. I left Thistle in the RV with water and fans going.
Amboy Crater is located on Old Route 66, south of I-40. The Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad runs right by it too. And yes, I had plenty of cool water with me, sunscreen, and a hat. There was a little breeze, so it wasn't bad.
Lizards like it hot, and there were plenty of them out on the lava rocks. This is a Desert Iguana. 
And I saw several Chuckwalla's too. They remind me of what dinosaurs must have looked like with their leathery skin. 
 Chuckwalla
The post is actually an ashtray, where you are requested to put your cigarette butts. A Chuckwalla was sitting on top. 

Some shady benches along the way, that I took full advantage of on my way back. 
This is a Zebra-tailed Lizard. 
I didn't see any Desert Tortoises or Rattlesnakes, although I kept my eye out for them. 
One of many freight trains passing by. Good thing I take my hearing aids out at night. 
There were many wildflowers on the back side of the cinder cone. 
The climb begins here, and the breeze stops. 
 I had already passed all the other hikers on their way back.
I stopped to drink water often, and wet my hat with cool water. 
When I got inside the crater, I could see the trails continued across the crater and up to the top of the high side. 
One thing I hadn't thought about was how much hotter it would be inside the crater, with rocks heated by and retaining the sun's heat. There was no thermometer here, but it must have been over 100 degrees.
I was beginning to get a headache and decided it was not wise to try to complete the trail across the crater. I turned around and started back down. I poured some of my cool water down my shirt on the way back.
The view was about as good as it would get anyway. 
Saw another lizard...a small one. I'm not sure what kind this is. 
Another Zebra-tailed Lizard. 
And a colorful Chuckwalla. 
I found out the orange means it's a male. 
When I got back to the RV, I ran the generator and AC, took a cool shower, and rested inside until just before sunset. 
Then Thistle and I went outside to enjoy the sunset. It was cool. 
Who knew? Chuckwallas like to watch the sunset too! 
And so, a lesson learned. I won't do that again.